First 2020 post! Happy new year! Yes, I know it’s already past mid January…
When you add a field to a SysOperation Framework Data Contract the lookup that the framework creates (if the EDT has a lookup) is a simple, single select lookup. Let’s see how to create a multi select lookup in MSDyn365FO.
The SysOperation Framework and MVC
But first of all a bit of an introduction! The SysOperation Framework was introduced in Dynamics AX 2012 to replace the RunBase Framework, and is used to create processes that will be run by the batch server. The RunBase classes are still around in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. Some standard processes still use it while others use it to later call a SysOperations Framework class.
Since last October we’ve been able to try the preview of Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Database Movement API which allows us to list and download DB backups and start DB refreshes using a REST API.
If you want to join the preview you first need to be part of the MSDyn365FO Insider Program where you can join the “Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Insider Community“. Once invited to the Yammer organization you can ask to join the “Self-Service Database Movement / DataALM” group where you’ll get the information to add yourself to the preview and enable it on LCS.
This post is a product of not reading the full documentation. Lesson #1: read the docs thoroughly, or at least don’t stop reading when you think you’re done.
Publishing an ISV solution
One of the steps when you want to publish an ISV solution is generating the license for your customers. This license has to be signed using an Authenticode certificate that will enable the solution, limit the number of users or set an expiration date.
As you might know MSDyn365FO’s data access layer pretty different from T-SQL. This means that if you copy a query on AX and paste it in SSMS it won’t validate in the 99% of the cases (the other 1% being a select * from table).
The possibility of doing real CI/CD is one of my favorite MSDyn365FO things, going from “What’s source control?” to “Mandatory source control or die” has been a blessing. I’ll never get tired of saying this.
This past weekend I’ve attended my third 365 Saturday, this time in Barcelona, as a speaker. As you can see in the post title my session has been about creating inventory counting journals using AI with the Power Platform.
First Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations Retail post! I hope more will come.
As you might know, one of the setbacks of the database refresh from production in LCS is that some data doesn’t get copied. This is a safety feature that prevents, among others, that emails are sent or batches run accidentally after a DB restore.
Some time ago I had to create an interface between MSDyn365FO and a web service that returned data as XML. I decided to use X++’s XML classes (XmlDocument, XmlNodeList, XmlElement, etc…) to parse the XML and get the data. These classes are terrible. You get the job done but in an ugly way. There’s a better method to quickly parse XML or JSON in MSDyn365FO.
Feature management has been around in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations for some time now. Before that features were enabled through flighting running a SQL query on dev and UAT boxes (and the DSE team would do it on production).
Now we have a nice workspace showing all the available features and flighting is still around too. The main difference between flighting and features is that flighting is enabled to a selected group of customers, like a preview of a feature.